ABOUT: Manohar Gopalkrishna Prabhu Parrikar is an Indian politician from the Bharatiya Janata Party who is the current Defence Minister of India. Before being inducted into the Council of Ministers of the Union Government on 9 November 2014, he served as the Chief Minister of Goa, first from 2000 to 2005 and later from March 2012 to November 2014. He is a member of the Rajya Sabha from Uttar Pradesh. He is the first IIT graduate to serve as Chief Minister of an Indian state.
Family : His wife Medha Parrikar died of cancer in 2001. They have two sons – Utpal Parrikar is an Electrical Engineering graduate from Michigan State University and Abhijat Parrikar who is a local businessman.
Awards : 2012- CNN-IBN Indian of the Year in politics category
Political Career of Manohar Parrikar
His journey from being an IITian to Chief Minister of Goa and now the Defence Minister of Goa is fascinating. Though the road involved bumpy rides but he made it through more or less smoothly.
His political career started in the year 1994, when he became an MLA in the Goa Assembly. Parrikar went on to become the Goa CM on October 24, 2000 and continued to be so till February 27, 2002. However, he again became CM on June 5, 2002.
Important positions :
- 1988: He joined BJP and after he entered into the Politics.
- 1994: Elected to the Second Legislative Assembly of the State of Goa in first time.
- 1994 -2001: General Secretary & Spokesman, Bharatiya Janata Party on the Goa State.
- 24th October 2000 to 27th February 2002: Chief Minister and held portfolios of Home, Personal Finance, General Administration and Education.
- 5 June 2002: He was re-elected and became the Chief Minister again.
- une 2002: Re-elected to the Fourth Legislative Assembly of the State of Goa.
- June 2007: Re-elected to the Fifth Legislative Assembly of the State of Goa. Leader of the Opposition.