Indian Army Day 2021: Indian Army is celebrating its 73rd Foundation Day today. Indian Army Day is celebrated every year on 15 January in the country. On this day in 1949, Field Marshal KM Cariappa took command of the Indian Army from General Sir Francis Butcher. Francis Butcher was the last British Commander in Chief of India.
Field Marshal KM Cariappa became the first Commander-in-Chief of the Indian Army. This day is celebrated every year to commemorate the taking over of the top commander of the Indian Army of Cariappa. Kariyappa was the first officer to be given the rank of Field Marshal. On Army Day, the entire nation remembers the indomitable courage of the army, their valor, bravery and sacrifice.
Indian Army Day: Know about Indian Army
– The Indian Army was formed by the East India Company in Kolkata in 1776.
– Indian Army is included in the three most army in the world along with China and America.
‘Operation Rahat’ was the world’s largest civilian rescue operation in 2013 to save Uttarakhand flood victims.
This day is celebrated in New Delhi and all army headquarters with military parades, military exhibitions and other official events.
There is a parade of army troops and different regiments. On this day a salute is also given to all those brave fighters who have surrendered their supreme sacrifice for the safety of their country and people.
Learn about KM Kariyappa
– Born in 1899 in Kurg, Karnataka, Field Marshal Kariappa started a job in the British Indian Army at the age of just 20.
– Cariappa led the army along the western border in the Indo-Pak war of 1947.
At the time of Indo-Pak independence, he was entrusted with the responsibility of dividing the armies of both the countries.
In 1953, Cariappa retired from the army.
– Field Marshal holds the highest rank in the Indian Army. This position is given as honor. So far in Indian history, this rank has been given to only two officers. Sam Manekshaw is the country’s first Field Marshal. He was conferred with the post of Field Marshal by the President in January 1973. M Cariappa was the second Field Marshal in the country. He was made Field Marshal in 1986.